You are not a member of this wiki.
Pages and Files
InsideNorthside is a collaborative information hub created by neighbors like you.
Get Our Newsletter
North Minnepolis History
North Minneapolis originally was a predominantly Jewish community,
"The Jewish Community of North Minneapolis"
The original Jewish community was comprised of German Jews who arrived earliest, followed by Russian, Polish, and Lithuanian Jews, and finally Romanian Jews. These groups tended to settle in one of three areas: the near north side of the city, on the south side between Chicago and Cedar Avenues near Franklin Avenue, and near Lake Calhoun. The City's first major synagogue, dedicated in 1880, was Shaarai Tov ("Gates of Goodness"), located on Fifth Street between First and Second Avenues South. It later was named Temple Israel and is presently located at 24th Street and Hennepin Avenue. One of its illustrious rabbis was Samuel N. Deinard. Rabbi Deinard worked to unite the various ethnic groups within the Jewish community. He was devoted to social justice beyond the Jewish community as well, and served as the first president of the local chapter of the NAACP. A more recent wave of Russian immigration to Minnesota began in the late 1980s. Since 1987, more than 3,000 Russian-speaking Jews have settled in Minneapolis, constituting 10% of its Jewish population.
Minneapolis Public library
African American History in Minnesota and Minneapolis
North Star Minnesota's Black Pioneers
Search the Gary N. Sudduth African American History and Culture Collection at
for more information.
By 1880, there were 362 Blacks in Minneapolis, and by 1930 the Black population numbered 4,176. The Black community tended to concentrate in two areas--on the near north side of the city and on the south side near Fourth Avenue South and 38th Street. The first African-American Church organized in Minneapolis was the St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1863. The
Minneapolis Urban League
was established in 1925 to assist African-Americans in overcoming obstacles in employment, education, housing, health care and social services. One of its prominent leaders was Gleason Glover, who served the organization from 1967 to 1992. The
, edited by Cecil E. Newman and focused on the African-American community, began publishing in 1934.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"